Monday, September 05, 2005

Sorry I said that!

Well I am excited about this new thing called a blog site, I am going to have some fun with this. Have only had a few bumps in trying to get it going, but after all I am from the manual Royal typewriter era. Fact is I made an A in typing in college with a personal best of 81 words per minute. Wow, I knew you computer geeks would be impressed. On to better ideas here. Well I would hope that most of my information on this site would be original, but I am sure it won't be. Fact is I received something in the mail the other day that I thought would be interesting to share. Of all places it came from my friendly electric co-op that sends me those outlandish bills each month. After recovering from the bill I noticed some tid bits enclosed in the envelope.

To start: "This telephone has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communications. The device is inherently of no value to us."--An internal Western Union memo, 1876. "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."--IBM chairman, Thomas Watson, 1943. "Television won't last because people will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night."--Producer Darryl Zanuck, 20th Century Fox, 1946. "Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."--Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale Univ., 1929. "That rainbow song's no good. Take it out."--MGM memo after first showing of The Wizard of Oz. "You ain't going nowhere, son. You ought to go back to driving a truck."--The Grand Ole Opry's Jim Denny to Elvis Presley, 1954. "You'd better learn secretarial skills or else get married."--Modeling agency, rejecting Marilyn Monroe in 1944. "Forget it. No Civil War picture ever made a nickel."--MGM executive, advising against investing in Gone With The Wind. "There is no likelihood man can ever tap the power of the atom."--Nobel Prize-winning physicist Robert Milliken, 1923. "But what...is it good for?"--Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip. ""Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"--H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927. "Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy!"--Driller who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859. "The world is coming to an end in 1950." --Historian Henry Adams, 1903.

Now from Andy Rooney and I quote: "I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!"-------"My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours. I think the police should have every right to shoot your sorry ass if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word, "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the previous lines."-------"I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business."------"We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wares to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations."------"I don't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor."------I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you from watching them."------"When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling, it is the Law of Probability."------"I am sick of Political Correctness. I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can they be African-Americans? Besides, Africa is a continent I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else."------And in summary, "If you don't like my point of view, tough!!!"

In a followup to my comments on the criminal football player at Texas Tech and the criminal basketball player at Baylor University this is the latest: The player at Baylor is off the team, enuff said. While Head Coach Mike Leach(Coach Brilliance around here) stands by his man, who is now facing possible jail time. When ask if this player faced any team disciplinary action for his actions, Coach Brilliance stated, "that's an internal matter, and we don't share material on internal matters." When asked what constituted grounds for any player on his team to be suspended or dismissed, Brilliance said: "Stealing, drugs, mistreating a woman." Is this disgusting or what? The one question I have is if the player in question is in jail, will he be given an over night pass to play in the Tech games or will he have to break out of jail(after all that is not in the list of offences pointed out by Brilliance, so it would be okay). As the Raiders turn! Thank God for the integrity of Coach Sharp and Coach Knight! There is hope!

This is going to be fun!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home