Saturday, December 08, 2012

Nothing Simple Nowadays, Movie Reviews


While I know it may seem strange, I actually  remember just a few days after December 16, 1953 a.d. so well it is like it was yesterday, and not 59 years ago.  That happened to be the day I got my Texas drivers license and sped away from the scene of the testing only to get a speeding ticket within a week.  Since I am always in a hurry it does not surprise me now that I did that then, but let my digress and get to the point of the day.  When I got my notice that I would have to renew my drivers license before December 16, 2012 I thought, well so what I have been doing this for a long time and surely it had not turned into some bureaucratic nightmare procedure!  Wrong!!  The new instruction page was single space front and back with about a third of it in Spanish.  Now nothing against the Spanish speaking folks; however, I don’t speak but one language and it happens to be the number one language of American called English.

 Anyway, getting back on the subject I found that just taking my old license, and my method of payment with me to the Texas Department of Safety drivers license office was not near enough to renew.  I was instructed to take the following: birth certificate, passport, military records of discharge and retirement, military retirement identification card, old drivers license, title to my vehicle, registration to my vehicle, social security card.  Now to add insult to injury the instructions said I could not renew online even though it was offered.  So, low and behold, not only do I have to dig up all records and verifications of who I am, I also have to walk in and wait in a line all the way back to the North pole to simply renew my Texas drivers license.  Can you imagine what it would be like to go to the moon under this same philosophy and procedure.  After I got myself registered and assigned a number to be posted on an electronic bulletin board in front of the waiting room, I resigned myself that is all part of not being a member of the “New Faces of America”, so I would just do the best I can, keep my cool, and get my valued drivers license that I have so proudly had since I was 14 years old.

  And just think this is the same week that the Princess of England announced she is pregnant, Sandusky is asking for a more comfortable jail cell, The Big O says let’s all jump off the “Cliff” together, Donald Trump has to show his birth certificate to withdraw another Zillion out of his account, and Coach Tuberville of the football Texas Tech Red Raiders proclaims, “the secret to winning more football games is always scoring more points than the opposing team, by the end of the final whistle!”  So, I find myself in an exclusive group and feel honored to have successfully passed the eye exam, the paper verification of who I am, and I could speed off with a clear conscious that I had paid my dues, been a good boy in the waiting lounge, and can drive with a valid license for another 6 years, even though I cannot speak Spanish!!  Go figure!!

Movie Reviews:

“Pitch Perfect”, ***,  This is a very harmless but entertaining movie about mean/silly/good/talented/smart/good/ college girls who are trying to find their place in college.  This story revolves around Beca(played by Anna Kendrick) who would rather listen to music than sing it; however, she is very talented and finds herself in the college acoustic singing group.  Of course she has her set backs, and then surfaces as a very talented singer and leader.  It is a Rocky type story as they head off to the National acoustic competition.  Go see to find out the results!  Rated PG-13 for sexual material, language and drug references.  

“Playing for Keeps”,  ***, This romantic comedy begins with a homecoming for George(played by Gerard Butler), a retired professional soccer player whose glory days are behind him.  After retirement from the sport and burned out with his playboy days he moves back to Virginia to re-connect with his ex-wife and young son.  This is a typical story line when he answers the invitation to coach his son’s soccer team.  He also has the opportunity to connect with sexy soccer moms and desperate housewives.  Co-stars include Uma Thurman, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Judy Greer(no kin) and Dennis Quaid.  A good movie to go to when you don’t want real serious drama or violence.  A matinee choice would be my recommendation.  Rated PG-13 for some sexual situations, language and a brief intense image.

EA, SH........:)!

greerman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home