Monday, August 21, 2006

Standing in Line, Love Kinky, Some interesting quotes,

Of all the things in the world that I am forced to do, the one I like the least is standing in line. As the population grows the more the lines, the more the lines the more I lose my patience. The funny thing is after you stand in line for so long waiting for whatever "service" you are waiting for, the person on the other side of the counter says, "thank you for your patience." Well I got news for them, I am not patient and the only reason I appear that way is that I need their "service" and I don't have a choice, so I have that appearance. Recently I had the "opportunity" to stand in two lines of "service" and here are some of my observations. The first line was in the main post office in the downtown area of Lubbock, not the one I usually go to but the one that seemed the most conveniant for the "service" I needed. As I went in I noticed a long line and I started to make an about face and go somewhere else; however, my patience got the best of me. So, I got in line and then decided to do a little survey of the line while I waited. What I found out of the 20 people standing in this line there were 18 Latin Americans, 1 African American, and 1 Caucacian or White American(that of course is me and I am not sure if this is a term or not or where I actually fit in the scheme of things, but I do know White American is not a term that can be used, even though that is what I am). In addition I found that there were 6 service booths available for the postal service customers but only two people were manning them, both of these employees were Latin American. Then in a few minutes another postal employee came to the rescue and he was White American(this is my blog site and I will use the term I want)coming off of break. I know he was coming off of break because he still had part of a bean burrito hanging off of his lip. Then one of the Latin American employees took their break and was replaced by an African American. So, after 28 minutes I was able to send my package and leave the building. My conclusion is that the population of Lubbock is very diverse and the postal employees take long breaks, but being the patient one I got my "desired services" and got on my way.

The second line I stood in this same week was at the Municipal Court, the place where you go to pay your traffic violations. The good news about this place is that you never have to go there unless you get a traffic violation, which I did for speeding(42 mph in a 35 mph zone, a bit unfair I thought but the officer also informed me that one of my taillights was out, I crossed over into another lane without signaling and I was also speeding. I did, very politely, ask if I did anything right? He politely stated, yes, you have your license and insurance so that is a good thing. Please wait here while I write out your ticket). As I entered the building to pay my fine I noticed the little roped off area that you have to follow before getting to the pay up your fine cages. I call them cages simply because that is what they are, the employee sits behind these vertical bars that are either to keep you out or keep them in, take your choice. But, there happen to be a few things that came to my attention as I entered, one, there was a long line of people ahead of me and after counting them I came up with a grand tally of 23. Since I am very patient about this type of thing(joke) I really wasn't too concerned until I noticed on the clock that it was 1:03 p.m. and I had a conference call at 1:30 p.m. So, I had 26 minutes to get this done and 1 minute to get back to my auto and cell phone. Then my roving eyes begin to search the room and line for something to ease my mind that I was going to get this done in time to get back to my call. After surveying the room I found that there were 5 cages set up for us law breakers to plead our case or pay I fines, but you guessed it, only 2 cages had people in them. Now was the time to survey the people standing in line, which I determined immediately that the people who break the traffic laws in Lubbock are more diverse than the post office line. Out of 23 only 4 were Latin American, 1 was Black American and the rest were White Americans. Seems a little unfair to me, but I didn't try to make a point of this to anyone. One of the things that also caught my attention was a big sign on the wall that said, "No Profanity or Abusive Language Allowed-If you violate this you will be removed from the premises by a uniformed officer of the law." This tells me they have had some kind of a problem in the past with irate ticket payers and this sign was needed to end that kind of problem. At any rate as I now surveyed the line I noticed an extremely good looking young woman standing ahead of me with one person separating us. She was no older than 25, beautiful blond hair, right height, right weight and the right endowments. Not only that but she was extremely gracious in exhibiting her proud cleavage. Needless to say this made the wait in line more enjoyable and tolerable, especially since I had left my "dark" sunglasses on and no one could tell where I was really looking. Even when she had to talk on the cell phone she made all of the assets more available to all of the eyes in the room(not just mine, but it was done in more of a sharing type attitude on her part), so the time went by very fast. At this point though it was approaching 1:20 p.m. and was getting close to my call. But, the good news is that another employee came to the rescue and opened up another cage. At the same time the drama increased since one of the ladies that was ahead of me in the line got to her cage, took out her paper work and found that she left something in the car. Well the nice person working the cage allowed her to go back out to the car to get her stuff and maintain her place in line. Well this really tested my patience, since I think if you leave your place in line you have lost it, "PERIOD." But, while I didn't say anything to anyone it was apparent it ruffled some other feathers in the line. Then to top it all off the same lady came back from her car, pulled out her new papers and she still didn't have all that she needed(how many ways can you bring in a traffic ticket?)The lady behind the cage again allowed her to go back to the car for the second time, while we waited in line. But, she did allow the person in front of me(the blond was now gone)to step up and she started handling her ticket, while waiting for the lady to come back from her car. Then, low and behold, the next cage opened, I showed my ticket, payed my fine and returned to my auto at 1:31 p.m. The conference call was just starting so I was fine. But, my PATIENCE grew very thin. Waiting in line is not a fun thing, PERIOD!! Even with cleavage within eysight range!

My man for Texas Governor, Kinky Friedman, stated over the weekend that if elected he would appoint Willie Nelson as the Energy Czar of Texas. He was very serious since Willie has been very instrumental in developing alternative fuel to the W man's fossil fuel. Kinky also punished his campaign manager for stating some derogatory things about one of his opponents, "Grandma" Strayhorn, by banning him from his favorite bar for two weeks. LONG LIVE KINKY, MY MAN FOR THE AUSTIN DOME!!

Who says the dust is in the air in Lubbock? A recent survey from Men's Health magazine ranked Lubbock's air quality index number 7 in the nation among 100 cities, and number 2 in the state of Texas. Corpus Christi was number 1 for the state.

Quotes: "Sometimes, when I look at my children, I say to myself "Lillian, you should have remained a virgin."--Lillian Carter(mother of Jimmy Carter). "I had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalong: "No good in a bed, but fine against a wall."--Eleanor Roosevelt. "The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending; and to have the two as close together as possible."--George Burns. "By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."--Socrates

Some health secrets later this week,

greer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home