Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cell phone observations, The middle seat, Bigger is better omission, Is the Presidency Just Another Thing That Money Can Buy?, Movie Reviews

This cell phone culture that we now live is somewhere between disgusting and stupid, no in-between definition can describe it any better. Now I realize that it is supposed to have made our life easier but I beg to differ with anyone on that. It has only made our life more stressful and has created a whole knew venue for narcissism. On my recent trip to Florida for the Ironman 70.3 World Championship I made some notes concerning the actions of our society when it comes to the cell phone. Please note: 1. Cell phone users cannot walk in a straight line. I noticed that when a person has a cell phone stuck in their ear while walking they pull to the opposite direction of the ear they have it in. Well so what? Here's what, they tend to walk into the on coming foot traffic with no regard or care! 2. Cell phone users are basically very rude, since they carry on a private conversation with a voice so loud they wake up the inhabitants on Mars while they are talking. They act like they are talking to me and my hearing deficiency. To me this is very rude and invades my private space, just for their conversation. 3. The cell phone users rudeness is further exemplified when they go to a movie and can't sit through the entire movie without checking their beloved cell phone. Can't it wait the 2 hours you are in a movie? I find it very disturbing to spend $6.00(senior rate) for a ticket, $8.00 for a small coke and small popcorn, then take my seat to enjoy a good movie but have to contend with some clown who has to expose that bright light to my eyes during the movie. If they are close to me I ask them to turn it off, then they look at me like I have slit their wrist. 4. Cell phone users have become multi-task robots. I have actually watched a dude stand at a urinal taking a leak, talking on the phone, and get this, eating a hamburger with a coke and french fries(I swear on my mothers grave I saw this happen in the Honolulu airport last year) and talking all at the same time. 5. Cell phone users add another lesson in rudeness when they take calls during meetings or make calls. Yes I know you are the most important person on the planet, but give me a break and turn the damn thing off so we can get this thing over with. My rant on cell phones for the week, but stay turned!!

This past week we attended the Ironman 70.3 World Championship in Clearwater, Florida and enjoyed our participation in the 2008 addition(not as athletes but as vendors for the Buffalo Springs Ironman 70.3), and helpers on the bike route for the female pros. The event went great, weather was Florida vintage, and the times were fast. Congrats to all who competed and we enjoyed watching you. On the flight back I was bless with receiving the middle seat assignment on a completely filled flight. Then to add to my bonus day I had two sumo wrestlers seating on each side of me. Then to add insult to injury they both went to sleep before we left the run way, so you know the drill with heads rocking back and forth into my space. Between the excess lard rolling back and forth with every movement of the plane and the nodding heading leaning against me I felt like the Steve Martin/John Candy scene in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles, where they were sleeping with each other on a double bed. I could tell this was going to persist until we hit the ground in DFW some two and half hours later. So, I decided to dish out a little of my own misery to these sleeping beauties. I just put my seat back, took control of the arm rests, rested my head back and gave them a lesson in head nodding and snoring!! Yea, take it guys, now I am in control. Funny thing is the flight was over before I knew it and these guys never said a word. Now I will be accused of sleeping with two men!! Oh well you never win, but I did make my point and did recover some space. In the future I will make sure that I make my reservations sooner and not get stuck in the middle ground again.

Many readers have made comments about the "Bigger is Better" subject that was explored on the previous post. It was suggested that while I did cover the subjects well and did introduce some interesting correlations between similar words and expressions used in two very contrasting industries I left one concluding term out. After exploring my mind set on this subject and going over my very details notes taken while at the show I found that they were right. So, please go back and re-read the original post and you will find that after providing all of the necessary lubrication for the proper drilling tool, and doing everything that is possible to reach a climatic conclusion to drilling, there is a 50/50 chance that you will have a "dry hole." If this is the case then just withdraw your efforts, regroup your approach and go back in when the timing is right. For you purists on the subject of "drilling" I hope this concludes this subject for now.

It appears to me that the Presidency has turned into just another thing that money can buy. It really has nothing to do with who will be best for the country, but who can get elected. Case in point, in 2000 W. raised $160 million(a record at the time) and got elected, then repeated in 2004. In the most recent election our President Elect(O) raised $640 million, while the Maverick only raised a puny $81 million(what was he thinking since they won't even buy a 3 year contract for some useless, non-productive pro athlete). I would think that anyone could run a successful campaign with over a half billion dollars. WOW and the country is in a recession and thousands are out of work, with homes being re-possessed, let's buy the presidency and get it fixed. It will be interesting to see.

Movie Reviews: "Pride and Glory", **, Powerhouse actors Edward Norton and Colin Farrell star in this film that follows multi-generation New York City Policy Department family whose moral code is tested when one of two sons on the force must investigate an incendiary case involving his older brother and brother-in-law. The story was good, the acting was very good and the presentation was very good; however, I am tired of seeing how corrupt the NYPD is and if they didn't invent the F word I would be surprised. I mean enough is enough! Of course there are good guys on the force and bad guys are the force(without that we would have no story), so we see the corruptness of the bad guys being challenged by the good guys, who all happen to be related. Go see it if you like this setting! Rated R for strong violence, pervasive language and brief drug content.

"Role Models", **, This movie stars Seann William Scott and Paul Rudd, who happen to have a public relations job with a energy drink. They actually go to public schools to persuade the students not to take drugs and drink the (Red Bull type drink) energy drink instead. They get themselves in some minor legal trouble, so are given a community service mentoring assignments instead of jail time. The two kids that they mentor make the movie digestable but certainly not an award winner. Only go see this if you have nothing else to do for the matinee price(that is what I did). Rated R for crude and sexual content, strong language and nudity.

greerman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home