Monday, October 27, 2008

Words, or, is Bigger Better? Movie Reviews

Every industry that I have ever been associated with had their own language, and used certain words to fit their needs. When you first associate with a new industry it takes a little time to adjust to their use of words, almost like if you go to Mexico and start blending in by speaking Spanish, or in Germany the same. Believe it or not the same words, even in English, will mean one thing in one industry and another definition in a completely different industry. This post will be one of the most unusual I have ever done since I will be comparing words of one industry to that of another industry, just to make my point. The funny thing is I will only have to identify one of the industries without mentioning the other. So play along with me and do the guessing game as to the "other" industry I am comparing to. While it may be a useless endeavor to some I think others in the more intellectual fields will find it somewhat amusing or possibly somewhat stupid. But, I really don't care at this point because I could see some kind or originality to this subject and will now head into it with my eyes open and prove my point. As an entree to this discussion I will identify words from the industry that I am associated with and how they correlate with another very famous industry. These words came to me during my attendance at the Permian Basin International Oil Show, located in Odessa, Texas. Not only was it held in the infamous past home of the W man, it is billed as the largest(or biggest) oil show in North America. Now that is big, but does it matter? Back to that question in a few words of wisdom. As I wandered innocently through the many booths and displays I started to pick up on a theme that then prompted me to gather information for this blog. The first word that was prominently put before me was "hole"(meaning of course the hole you make while "drilling" for oil), then it just started flowing, like "in the hole", "drilling", "pulling unit", "pump jack", "completion solutions", "large packer equipment(is bigger better?", "rod design(this is news to me I thought there was only one design)", "direct mount(this one is easy to visualize)", "purge ports", "true bore", "pulsation", "tool pusher", "fluid control", "down hole fluidicy(what the hell is this?)", "stimulation services(probably one of the least understood among mankind)", "quick connect(or maybe times of passion!)", "lubrication systems(is there an application here for the bigger is better theme?)", "performance(why did they have to throw that word in here?) pulsation", "sucker rods(and now I started looking for the marketing question, do your sucker rods swallow?)", "precision measurement", "nipple up service(yes this is how they said it, I did not make this up, I promise!)", "down hole tool(now this is really getting personal!)", "the perfect climax(now for your dirty minded readers out there, it means hitting the bottom of the hole and having oil rise to the top of the hole and enter into the tank batteries, with oil at $100.00 + per barrel the climax is good news)!" It should now be very obvious of the industry that the oil industry correlates with, but you must identify it and keep it to yourself. On the bigger is better question, I am really impressed with the oil industry and enjoyed learning new things about different industries. This show was very big and the more I saw the more I had to write about, so "bigger may really be better, but on the other hand I have always respected the proper placement of certain tools that provide the ultimate results, no matter the size!" The fact is some oil wells produce more oil from the smallest down hole tools, packers, stimulator's, sucker rods, and are very effective with precision measurement, as a result of a direct mount and energetic drilling. Not being bigger is also an asset when the friendly oil driller makes a quick connect without the proper lubrication. Woe is me, think on this one for a while, I am exhausted!!

Movie Reviews: "Max Payne", ***, This is a good movie but not four stars. The film centers on a maverick cop(isn't this theme getting a little old, there is only one Dirty Harry?) played by Mark Wahlberg--a very good actor, determined to track down down all responsible for the murders of his family and partner(always the same theme). As the mystery deepens, Max is forced to battle enemies beyond the natural world(another familiar theme). Very good action movie with lots of violence, plus a possible sequel has to be in the making. Rated: PG-13 for violence including intense shooting sequences, drug content, some sexuality and brief strong language(very big understatements on all accounts).

"W.", ****, Too bad for the real W. man that his presidency hasn't panned out as good as this movie. From everything I have been able to gather about this president and the cabinet it is right on. Oliver Stone, director of "JFK" and "Nixon" does not even wait for President George W. Bush to leave office before exploring his past on the big screen. The movie follows W.'s early struggles and triumphs, the manner in which he found his wife and his faith, and continues until W. decides to send American forces into Iraq. It also covers how he handled his cabinet and he paranoid methods of leadership. Josh Brolin stars of W. and he may be in line for a nomination. He does it well and you think you are watching the real W. at some points of the movie. The cabinet actors are splendid and very accurate. Go see at prime time, it is worth it. Rated: PG-13 for language including sexual references, some alcohol abuse(understatement), smoking(Laura was a heavy smoker until a few years ago) and brief disturbing war images.

For tonight,

greerman

1 Comments:

Blogger TexasOlGal said...

Greer, you're a dirty ol' man!!!
:-)

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home