Monday, September 22, 2008

USAT board meeting, Movie Review

Like bowling and golf, meetings some time really suck, and then again sometimes they don't. This past weekend I spent my time at a USAT National Board meeting in Portland, Oregon. You ask, why Portland since the headquarters for USAT is in Colorado Springs? Well USAT was also holding their annual triathlon National Age Group Championship so it made since to pool our time and see the athletes in action as a treat. Our meetings went as planned and I am still amazed as to how the sport has grown and is continuing to grow. When I was on the board in '93-'94 we were just able to hang on financially and had a staff of 5 people. Now the Federations is so strong financially we have to have a financial advisor to watch after our rainy day fund of $2.1 million. Our staff is now over 30 people with an executive director who has taken the Federation to new heights and has solidified us with the USOC with his progressive leadership. He was given the task of moving the Federation "forward"(even though I am sure we really didn't know exactly what that meant at the time) and he has certainly done that. If I were to go up there and sit in his chair, as I did in 2004, I am sure I would not recognize this organization other than the fact is I understand swim, bike and run. Skip was just given a very nice raise and the good news is that he earned it, and deserved it. From what I can gather on the work place scene now, this just is happening a lot in the CEO category of business and non-profits. I commend him and his team and look forward to watching the Federation continue to grow and take care of the triathlon business of the USA. Our board worked hard this weekend and our Board president, Rob Kasper, did a great job in curtailing the type A group of narcissistic leaders and athletes. These folks are sometimes very hard to control in a meeting, something like herding cats, and Rob does a good job of being patient and not losing his cool. In 1994 I sat in his chair and I know what a challenging group this can be. I do commend Rob for his job as the President of the Board and will continue to support him in his leadership position. In response to my opening sentence I would say that the meeting sucked for 10% of the time and the remainder 90% was very productive.

Movie Review: "Righteous Kill", *...**...***, To properly rate this movie I just installed a new rating method. This movie started out as a one star then progress to two star then to the ultimate three star. I just couldn't go higher than 3 because it just wasn't a four star movie, even with the two big stars in it. With De Niro and Pacino acting side by side as New York homicide detectives it made it hard to see how they were going to be cinema productive and present a good movie. In the past they have been in a movie or two together but they were adversaries, not partners. The story line was about two detectives who were partners very close to retirement. But before hanging up the badges they must investigate a series of murders committed on suspected criminals, especially if they had been tried and set free. A serial killer is suspected in the case since all of the clues are similar and there is a poem left by the body each time. A lot of the attitude as to who the killer is comes forth in the opening scenes with the goal of really confusing the audience on who the real killer is. In the beginning Pacino just tags along like humoring De Niro and you wonder, what the hell is he even doing in the movie. Then as it progresses to two star you start to see the interaction and then the three star comes out. Side note: there are some interesting sex scenes with De Niro and his female police admin assistant that really throws in some interesting speculation. Go see to satisfy your own curiosity. Rated R for violence, pervasive language, some sexuality and brief drug use.



Blogger Unknown said...

Lets' see, 1/10 of the Board meeting sucked, and there were 10 Board members. Does that mean one member's contribution sucked??

This reader wants to know the latest line from the Bowling alley.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Fast Twitch Mind said...

Your math is very good. I have been in Elephant Butte, NM for the hardest triathlon of its' distance in the country. Only Olympic distance but one tough muther. Sorry, for not getting back sooner.

Bowling went 147, 125, 160 last week. Not enough beer, will change that this week. My team is 5th out out of 20 teams. We rock, my partner is 5' 8", 260 lbs., large gut, smokes 3 cigarettes between lines, and drinks 3 pictures of beer during the break and during the lines, and averages 185. What an athlete!! But he is also one of our best volunteers for Buffalo Springs.


6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home