Sunday, October 25, 2009

Moving On, Football-Wildcats-Yes, Raiders-Not, Movie Review

Okay so the triathlon season is over and with 17 finishes under my belt for the year I should be kicking back and taking life real easy. Well that is what I am doing and it just doesn’t seem to fit after the 7 month drive to do all the races I could in the challenge series. So what happens is that the mind and body get regimented towards the fatigue of training, the monotony of packing the bags, loading them up then un-loading and putting things up when you return. Then as the week progresses and you know you leave again for the same thing you are conditioned for it, but when it isn’t there anymore there is this sense of emptiness that says, damn when will the spring get here? Even a long motorcycle ride or going to the football games just doesn’t provide the same feeling of competing and feeling that great fatigue you get from swimming, biking and running against the competition and clock. One of my favorite things about exercising is the feeling during, and after, especially the long hot shower. This current feeling is not to be confused with depression since I have only had that once in my lifetime and it was overcome not through any kind of drugs but simply saying, “hey dude move on it could be worse,” then when it got worse I just met it head on again and overcame it. No different than starting a 26.2 mile marathon after swimming 2.4 miles, riding the bike for 112 miles and getting off the bike with huge blisters on the ball of both feet. Now how does this happen, beats me but it did and has never happened again. So, it makes a good story and also illustrates how we can overcome adversity to reach favorable results. Recently I finished the new book “In A Single Bound”, by Sarah Reinertsen and found new inspiration for just about everything in life. This young lady is probably one of the toughest people I have met in a long time. Since I know her personally it made reading the book even more enjoyable. I suggest that everyone in this world read this book and gain the same inspiration I have. It will make you fully appreciate all of the good things in life and how to overcome the adversities in life. While it is not really a “hey I did it this way, so you should do it this way”, it is just simply her story of how she overcame the amputation of her left leg when she was 7 due to a birth defect. She has become a world champion in running and triathlon, so get this book and enjoy it. Her web site is, AlwaysTri.com and the book is available on Amazon or contact her through her web site.

This weekend has been full of football, at least that what it is for the Littlefield Wildcats. I watched them play on Friday night and they won again and lead their district. They play solid, winning football and are a pleasure to watch. It will be fun to follow them through the playoffs again this year. Their winning legacy started in 1936(yes, I know 72 years ago or better said, two year before I was born), and it was fun to be part of it during my high school years. Then the other side to the weekend watching of football was the Texas Tech Red Raiders last night, in a defeat while they watched Texas A & M smother them or better stated, “eat them alive.” Texas Tech has always had this magic of winners playing like losers and sometimes looking so bad that you wonder why they have uniforms on. I have been watching this school play since the early 50’s and I swear they never change. They get you on this big high when they beat someone who they are not supposed to beat, and then they lull you to sleep with the dream that they really are good, and then the nightmare becomes reality. They just don’t know how to put it all together for building a truly winning legacy. While they have had good winning records for some years, like last year they gained a lot a national attention with their 9-3 record and win over the Texas Longhorns, but then fell hard in the their bowl game. Now people around here think they should win every game, but it is just not in the cards for Tech to win every game. They are what I call winning/losers, a term I just came up since it seems to apply to them. In addition to watching them get run out of the newly enlarged stadium I also had to put up with the crowd, the parking, the walking and then have two jokers in front of me stand up through the complete game. Guess I am just not a fan in that I like to sit and watch the game and then if a good things happens, or when the nation anthem plays I will stand up, but not the whole damn game. In addition when some people directly behind him (he was 4 seats down from me but since he stood on the top of the actual seat he stilled blocked my view) ask him to sit he told them he was there to root for the Raiders and be damned with them. Funny thing is when the tide turned for the Aggies he was gone like a bullet, and then returned when it looked like they might come back. While he was gone another guy directly in front of me starting standing up, wow, now I know why I only go to one game a year. One of my past times at the games is to adjust the focus on my binoculars by looking at the cheerleaders (females), poms, and majorettes, so these clowns sure made it a challenge to get my binocs focused. But, I did get it done and had a clear view around their neck bones. Go Wildcats, suck it up Raiders!!

Movie Review: “Law Abiding Citizen”, ****, Gerald Butler stars as a family man whose wife and daughter are brutally murdered during a home invasion. The killers are caught but, against his objections, a Philadelphia prosecutor (Jamie Foxx) offers one suspect (the actual killer) a light sentence in exchange for rolling over on his accomplice. Ten years later, from his jail cell, Butler’s character begins to orchestrate a series of assassinations as revenge. This a well done, uniquely presented movie with all kinds of suspense. For example, why was a special deal offered to the actual killer and not the accomplice, or why was Butler in jail while taking out his revenge or who was his accomplice in doing this since he was in jail? It has the puzzles of a serial killer setting and keeps you to thinking, after you recover from some of the graphic violence. Well inquiring minds will want to know and you must go see this movie. Rated R for strong bloody violence and torture (understatement), a scene of rape and pervasive language.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home