Monday, July 20, 2009

Cross Dresser-Appearance Discrimination, EI Certified, Movie Reviews

The past two weeks were very interesting and allowed me to broaden my diversified interests and also experience a very comical incident where I was definitely "judged" by the clothes that I was wearing. Since I have often been called the ultimate cross dresser, meaning I wear Hog riding clothing to include black leather, sleeveless shirts on very hot days, a black hat and have a real mean smug look my shave less face(not to be confused with wearing a bra and panties for under wear). Then when I am in the triathlon setting I have on the red, white and blue of USA Triathlon fame or the navy blue M-Dot of World Triathlon's Ironman. I understand that it can get confusing to some but you know it is the same ole dude wearing this clothing. This past week we had a meeting with the new general manager of the Holiday Inn Plaza to discuss the contract for use of their hotel in 2010. Since things had not really been a real happy deal for 09 Marti wanted me to attend this meeting. So, I also decide to ride the Hog this particular day and went into the meeting with the sleeveless Sturgis shirt, two day old beard, black Harley cap, Hog stomping, zippered laced black boots and jeans with a large black belt. While we did introduce ourselves to the new GM he apparently did not get my name so after we sat down to talk he looked over at Marti and ask what my role was in the Buffalo Springs scheme of things. She then educated him to the fact that I had started the race 20 years ago and had been associated with it ever since. He kind of looked surprised since I wasn't dressed like he thought I should be I guess, even though most race directors are sure not trend setters in the dressing game. They generally wear stuff that has been given to them from sponsors or Goodwill. Regardless I then handed him my card that said CEO/Executive Director of the parent corporation that owns the race. He then settled down a little bit, adjusted his shorts and tie, coughed a little bit, and then proceeded to tell me chicken fried steak was he favorite meal. While I don't know what this West Texas gourmet dish had anything to do with our meeting, I informed him of where the Blue Ribbon chicken fried steak was being served in Lubbock and we moved on to the matters at hand. When we left the meeting we had a good understanding of our needs for 2010 and would be around the Plaza if they met our needs. When we got out to the parking lot I made the comment to Marti that this guy didn't seem to like how I was dressed and must have thought she picked me up at the nearest titty bar and was there to intimidate him with my M-Dot tattoo. Her reply was typical female all the way when she said that sometimes I just dress that way to throw some kind of male chauvinistic persona out there so that I can intimidates the suits. Wow, what a blow from the devoted spouse but I also understand her assessment and she may be right. But, I confess it was really an accident that day and I had no plans to intimidate, I just like riding the Hog and since when would you wear a suit on a Hog? It must have worked since the contract came to us with exactly everything we ask for. Guess you could say we are in Hog heaven now. This also reiterated to me what I have always known and that is many people really judge you by your appearance. So, when I am in shorts showing off my shaved legs I am a triathlete which is judged with a more understanding attitude, on the other hand the leather and loud noises of the Hog don't get the same results. Get over it folks we now live in a diversified society.

Last week I completed the Emotional Intelligence certification and I am now ready to start analyzing ones emotional intelligence, which is considered much more important than the ole traditional intelligence quotient(IQ). IQ is basically something you are born with while EI is the ability to handle emotions within yourself and in relationship to those around you. You can be a 180 IQ person who can't come in out of the rain, or relate to anyone. That is a person with very little effective EI, and those dudes are my targets. My Life Coaching will be in full swing within 90 days.

This weekend we will be competing in back to back sprint triathlons, one on Saturday in Sweetwater, Texas and then one on Sunday in Odessa, Texas. This will be the first double we have done in a few years, but is always fun to do. The driving is the worst part of it and by the time we leave Ransom Canyon and returned we will have covered nearly 400 miles. But, as we say in West Texas, it is a trip unless it is over 200 miles. There will be a report on this weekend some time next week.

Movie Reviews: While there has been some slim pickings on good movies I was able to pick up a few good ones the past two weeks.

"The Hangover", ****, While I very seldom ever agree with my local critic he and I hit it on the same button for this one. This was surprisingly a very well done movie, with some weird humor, and a twisting, entertaining story. The comedy takes the common plight of visitors over their heads in Las Vegas, then twists the expected story like a pretzel. The result is an ofter hilarious, and surprisingly original movie that initially gives four friends more than they can handle for a bachelor party, then forces them to slowly look backward for clues in "Memento" style. The action opens on the morning after, with three trashed groomsmen sharing a trashed hotel suite(costing $4200.00 per night) with a chicken, a tiger(belonging to Mike Tyson) in the bathroom and a baby in the closet. The groom, like their memories, is nowhere to be found. Indeed, they came to Las Vegas for the bachelor party they'd never forget. Then they forgot it. Be sure and stay for the complete ending, then you can see what happened when they lost their memories(actually they were drugged). Rated R for pervasive language, sexual content including nudity, and some drug material.

"I Love You, Beth Cooper," **+, High school valedictorian Denis Cooverman(played by Paul Rust) had a great academic year--on paper. An impressive student, conscientious gentleman and obvious dork, he never experienced such traditional high school memories as breaking curfew, consuming alcohol, fist fights, late nights, fast cars and making out. Making matters worse the absentmindedly proclaims his love for the school's hottest cheerleader during his graduation speech. To his surprise, Beth(played by Hayden Panettiere) shows up that night, determined to show Denis the best night of his life. It has some good humor but I really liked his best friend and some of the stuff he came up with. This movie is a light weight and should only be viewed with that attitude and during the discount hours, and hope for great popcorn. Rated PG-13 for crude and sexual content, language, some teen drinking and drug references, and brief violence.

"Public Enemies," ****, This is a very good movie about public enemy number 1 during the Great Depression. Johnny Depp plays the part of bank robber John Dillinger as he is being pursued by the newly formed FBI, headed up by J. Edger Hoover. It is a true story of the open bank robberies of the time and how Dillinger seemed to live a charmed life, both in and out of prison. He actually learned his trade while in prison the first time. He was eventually gunned down and died at the age of 31. There is nothing boring about this movie and I recommend it during any time of the day or night. You will enjoy Christian Bales who plays Melvin Purvis, who is given the task of capturing public enemy number 1. Prime time viewing is worth it for this one. Rated R for gangster violence and some language.

"Up", *****, Yes this animated film is really a five star and so much different than Public Enemies. We go from a violent bank robber to a very nice man by the name of Carl Fredricksen(voice of Ed Asner) who as a boy, met and eventually created a shared lifetime with a tomboy name Ellie. The real adventure takes off when Ellie passes away(they are now in their 70's I would guess) and Carl designs a method where helium balloons will lift his house and take it away to South America. He does have an unexpected friend on board with him, so he is part of the adventure. Rated PG for some peril and action(this is harmless).

greerman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home