Thursday, April 26, 2007

Bowling, modeling, Playtri Festival, Movie review

Bowling basically sucks!! Wait a minute I guess I should say that MY bowling sucks. Couldn't believe how bad it was last night, even the draft beer was flat, the popcorn was stale, and the post race food sucked. But, lo and behold the real bowlers on the team pulled us through with 3 out of 4 wins. That may have moved us up in the standings, but didn't find out before I left. At one time this year we were actually in first place, but have dropped considerably over the past weeks. Oh well as we say, "it is just bowling!!" There was some ray of sanity for the night in that one of the female bowlers on another team has a fixation on my butt. So, I always wear tight fitting jeans just for her. Not only does she tell me this but she aggressively grabs it in front of her husband. I can see the headlines now, "local triathlete who also bowls on the side, mauled by a 14 pound bowling ball by jealous husband." Even though I am innocent of any wrong doings(believe me I only lust at the grocery store) I am amazed that women do seem to have a fixation for men's butts. I also understand that it works both ways, so I guess time about fair play. I also have a little compassion for this poor women since she must have bad eyes or something. The other factor is that I see what the competitive tight male jeans look like and realize there is not a lot of competition. At any rate I am flattered and will continue to wear the tightest 501 Levi's or tight cut Wranglers whenever I bowl.

Speaking of butts, I was called by one of the largest ad agencies in Lubbock a few weeks ago and they wanted me to be a model for one of their new advertising campaigns. I wondered why anyone would want a 68 year old to model something, why not just dig out a dinosaur and put skirts on it. It turns out the agency had secured a very up scale retirement community to do all of their future advertising campaigns and they needed a senior for the ads. The description of what they were looking for was, "a male senior who doesn't look like a senior and is still in good physical shape." Needless to say that when the owner of the agency told me he thought of me on this I was again flattered. The gig called for me stand in some kind of athletic position in the swimming pool(no Speedo was allowed), look into the camera and smile a lot. This went on for one hour in an outside pool at a very expensive private home, and I nearly froze my butt off. But, I did make a nice wage for doing this, they loved the outcome and who knows I might have a new career. Who says getting old has to be dull!!! Maybe next time it will be with the Hooter group or something like that(I like their chicken wings).

This past weekend was spent with some very special people and involved some very hard work. Marti and I volunteered for the Playtri Festival in Las Colinas(Irving), Texas and it involved 9 events from running to triathlon, and I thought they were going to throw in some washers as the weekend progressed. Everything went fine, no injuries and everyone seemed to have a fine time. While this looked like way too much work for me, we did enjoy being part of it. We would like to take our hats off to Staci, Anne, and Merry for the hard work they did. They are special people doing everything they can to grow our great sport of triathlon. We look forward to their future presentations.

Movie review: "Disturbia" ***, When I go to a movie I have no prior knowledge of I do two things to acclimate me to what it may be about, first, I look at the crowd taking their seats. This crowd was made up of 18-23 year olds, cell phones working, balanced between male and female, fairly orderly, etc. Second, I notice the previews of coming attractions and know that the previews of these future movies will be similar to the movie I am going to see, i.e. you don't see "Mary Poppins" being advertised along with "Silence of the Lambs," etc. With that in mind I knew that I was in store for some kind of bloodshed, other violence, and maybe some nudity. It turns out this movie is about a serial killer(one of my favorite type of criminals) who lives next door to a high senior boy. The other thing about this movie is that I did not recognize any names in it, i.e. senior boy Shice LaBeouf, his girl friend Sarah Roemer, his mother Carrie Ann Moss, the serial killer David Morse. While I did recognize the face of Morse I would not have been able to recognize the name. The was billed as another Alfred Hitchcock, "Rear Window" type movie. While it had some similarities do not expect it to be this good. The story, senior boy loses father in auto accident, senior boy is depressed and becomes a troubled student, he hits his teacher, gets grounded by a judge and sentenced to house arrest for 90 days. So, he gets out the ole binoculars and watches the neighborhood. He then notices strange things going on with his weird neighbor(Morse) and the action begins. Also, a good looking girl moves in next door, just so happens she is his age, and the sparks start to fly there. While I rated this ** when leaving(mainly because the cell phones lights were blinding me) but raised it to *** after giving it some thought. Don't spend prime time money on it and probably just wait for the DVD or possibly just don't go to it. It is not one you will miss if you miss it, get the drift?

Big weekend, BBQ contest judging at the lake, ride the Hog, do a movie, watch the Renegades football team, do some training, possibly ride to Bob Wills day in Turkey, Texas, Hog rally at the Depot district in Lubbock, wow!!! busy weekend!!

greerman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home